Sick and Job seeking in UK

I've been coughing for 1 week. The tickly cough irritates me to the max yet I can't do anything about it. I've drank gallon tanks of water, boiled herb tea, sleep early, drink ginger water & etc etc yet the cough remains. Tell me what to do, it's so difficult for me to fall asleep at night when the tickling in my throat keeps waking me up T_T

At this moment of time, I just feel so sick of everything around me. I feel like spending the $ in my account to do my travelling and then head back home. Not to stay in this small and breathless room anymore. I hate feeling sick, be it mentally or physically and I am feeling both now.

I've been asked about my job a few times - where and how did I get my current job. By the way, I was previously working in the online advertising industry in Malaysia. So, my first attempt was to get back a similar job in UK. I've taken quite a few steps in my job seeking process:

1) I searched for jobs in G*mtr*e.com even before I come to London. I was targeting - Online Advertising (what I've have been doing all the while), Marketing, Administrator, Personal Assistant then last option is to work in a restaurant (be it waitress or kitchen).

2) I sent my resumes out and posted an ad on G*mtr*e.com. I managed to get myself an interview on the 2nd day of my arrival. Later on, a recruitment agent from one of the famous advertising recruitment agency emailed me and requested me to drop by their agency.

3) All seemed good at this point, so I went for my first interview - being offered a 13k per annual salary (bear in mind, this is before tax -_-). Being asked for a 2nd interview and I rejected the offer coz I couldn't survive in London with that amount of pay.

4) Dropped by the recruitment agency and they arranged a few interviews for me - one to the biggest radio station in UK. It's obvious that I didn't get the job - I thought I was gonna get it coz the manager bring me around the building and introduced me his stuffs, the studios and etc)

5) Following by that, I've been to interview with a publisher (magazines & etc), a media agency and a newspaper.

6) After 1 and a half months seeking for jobs, I started to feel nervous as I was running out of money. I desperately sending out resumes to recruitment agents and searching through job sites.

Job sites:
http://www.reed.co.uk
http://www.totaljobs.com
http://www.londonjobs.co.uk
http://jobs.guardian.co.uk

As for recruitment agents - try google it, there are many recruitment agents in UK that are cater for most of the working industry.

7) I've tried walking into a Pizza restaurant asking about the vacancy and they requested for my resume -_- which I failed to submit. Of course, I didn't get this job.

8) I went to countless recruitment agency to register my profiles. At the end, I met 2 lovely ladies who managed to arrange an interview for me.

9) I went for the first interview and then the 2nd at the following week. I was being informed on the same day I've got the job. You can imagine how excited I was and then followed by worries -_-

10) Hence, I am working in the online advertising industry now.

That's basically my job seeking process. My advises are, you got to be patient if you are looking for office jobs - be it permanent or temp. There are lotsa temp jobs in London where you can try searching, due to our Visa some employers might be reluctant to hire you. So the solution for this will be getting a contract or temp job. Prepare a good resume - detailed and precise - something that can impress the employers.

If you are looking for waiting jobs from the very beginning, try to look for restaurants that provide you with accommodation and food. You can save a lot.

Buzz me if you have any questions, I will try my best to answer you if that's something I know :p

Photo of the day:


First time clubbing in London - me, Fei and my lovely french bro, lol. I have a few photos with me but most of the photos couldn't make it due to my extremely white face - like ghost! The consequence of using concealer as foundation T_T

When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."~Author Unknown

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kim said…
u caught the bug. Best thing to do is go to chinese herbal doctor. the doctor here is useles , just giving out paracetemol and tell u to go home and rest
Unknown said…
mei: thank you for sharing ur experience..that's really a very useful info for those who're planning for whv...good job
cough ah? hmmm i also duno how to advise u coz i myself also still will have that stewpid cough once in a while out of sudden. When it comes, i will just take a spoon of cough med...

ehhh, u ahh.... apa use concealer as foundation, i tot concealer is for dark eye ring like mine???? hahahaa... nvm nvm, learn from lesson...

hope to see u in make up more... ;p
HoOn said…
Hey mei, you are an inspiration to all people out there. Leaving your own comfort zone and venturing out to a foreign land seeking an adventure, happiness... Hang in there, i am sure you can overcome all difficulties!
poppychick said…
Hey there! Hoon's right. Don't give up just yet :) Stay cool, drink warm honey with lemon slice and get well :) Everything will be just fine :) Be happy!
Mei said…
kim: I finally give in and went to the chinese doctor today. It's expensive T_T

n: You are welcome =) I hope it helps.

beckz: I feel like dying T_T when you were away to Lang Tengah I was coughing everyday =p. I used concealer coz I run out of foundation =p

hoon: Thank you for the encouragement. I never thought of being the inspiration for others coz I think I am just an ordinary person struggling here...boohooT_T

mae-v: Thanks for caring. It means so much!

Popular posts from this blog

Chichele Road

[Jordan] Wadi Mujib Reserve, Siq Trail

2021 Recap